Thursday, March 6, 2008

Brett Favre-Inspirational to Journalism?

In a recent article on poynter.org by Jacqui Banaszynski, she discusses how Brett Favre's football career and his moral and actions on and off the field can be put into a lesson book for the newsroom editor.

Personally, I have no clue. I don't think I have ever watched a single professional football game-let alot Brett Favre and how he has acted in the NFL.

But from reading her descriptions and reasoning, I agree.

I also think that while these ideas and rules or whatever you want to call them most definitally apply to the editor, I think alot can also apply to a staffer as well.

She talks about working with joy and how Favre loved his job. I think this is one that applies to everyone. If I was to go in as a writer LOVING the story I'm writing and loving the interviewing and everything, than my story is going to be better!

Take risks- I think this is more of a editor specific guideline. As an editor you need to take risks when deciding which stories to write. You shouldn't be afraid to write the story on the violent sorority president, even though you know you are going to get flack for it.

A big one I agree with is giving credit when its due, there is nothing better than hearing your editor say THANK YOU and GOOD JOB! Hearing this makes you want to keep working hard to get those compliments and those who don't get those compliments want to work hard so they can begin to hear them.

BUT there was one idea I didn't agree with. The idea that you should expect the best from your staff and nothing less. While in theory this is a good idea. The truth is you can't. You're going to have the writer that can't write or usually messes up quotes or interviews or gives incorrect info. So why should you expect something different and expect a better result, to only be disappointed?

Read the entire article at:
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=139070

No comments: