Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Conflict of Interest

Okay. So technically I doubt conflict of interest is the correct term, but I am currently facing a personal conflict of sorts.

Here's the deal, as we all know this Sunday is Valentine's Day aka: singles awareness day.

Well, for the first time ever, I will NOT be single on Valentine's Day. And I'm not quite sure what to do.

And I know that sounds awkward, so, time out before your judge and let me explain.

Anyway. Today, as I was walking across campus, dreading my advertising test and thinking of what else I needed to do, v-day came into my mind and I started to brainstorm what I wanted to do for Barista. I've had a few ideas, but won't share them on here because he reads the blog and I don't want to ruin the surprise. But I want it to be something "different" I guess. Not your typical cards and flowers and that. Something that'd be funny. Something he'd like. And I kind of got excited about the idea.,about being able to do something special for my special someone. sidenote: I know that almost sounds slightly disgustingly sentimental..but eh..oh well...

And here's where the conflict comes in.

Up until now I've had pretty much an abhorence for the "holiday," probably because I've always been single.but whatever. There' still a part of me that just doesn't get it. I don't understand why we have to have one special day to show our significant others that we adore them, shouldn't we do that all the time?

To me it's almost like a pissing match with ourselves and even our "lovers". Competing with ourselves to show how much and big we can show we appreciate our boyfriend/girlfriend.
Then you have the couples who just buy the card and their box of chocolates because they feel like they have to. OR you have the needy person who expects to get catered to on V-Day, even though their partner probably spoils them the other 364 days of the year.

So yea, there's part of me that doesn't want to succomb to this whole notion of Valentine's Day.

BUT then there's the hopeless romantic in me who wants to do something for Barista,surprise him (even though that element now may be gone if he reads this) and let him know how I feel besides the normal things I say.

And I should also point out at this time now, is as far as I go, I don't care. I'm not expecting anything from the barista or hoping he does something cute and sweet. Really, I just want to hang out with him for a day again. We probably haven't gotten to spend a decent amount of time together since I've gotten back to school. Thanks to my crazy schedule, his busy work schedule and etc.I really don't know the last time we've spent more than 3 hours in one solid chunk together and it sucks. SO, that's what I'd like for the big day. Legitimate time with my boyfriend =).

So, yea... I'll let you know what happens.

1 comment:

Fat for a Triathlete said...

Erk, I am exactly the same.

First Valentine's Day where I haven't been single... but I feel myself being won over by the stupid idea!!

I got Superman a wallet purely because he needs a new wallet... but it turned into a Valentine's Day present, because he won't let me buy him stuff for no reason...

Now I know he's organised dinner and a gold class movie, cooked breaky and all... wtf?
What happened to my complete and utter despise of the soppiness of this holiday?

I dunno, maybe it's because it's the first one and I will tone it down in the years to come.

Just enjoy it. Hope you find the "thing" (read: present, event, occasion, whatever) that you're looking for for Sunday. Good luck!!